I-131 for Travel Documents

There are three kinds of travel documents covered under I-131: Advance Parole, Refugee Travel Documents, and Re-Entry Permits.  Advance Parole is issued solely to authorize the temporary parole of a person into the United States.

Advance parole is most commonly used when someone has an application to adjust status pending, or an application for asylum pending.

A refugee travel document is issued to a person who has been granted refugee or asylum status, or to a permanent resident who obtained a green card because they were a refugee or asylee.

A re-entry permit allows a permanent resident or conditional resident to apply for admission to the U.S. upon returning from abroad during the permit’s validity, without having to obtain a returning resident visa from a U.S. Embassy or consulate. Permanent or conditional residents should apply for a re-entry permit if they will be outside the United States for one year or more.

For more information about Travel Documents, please contact us at 646-395-7997 to schedule an appointment.