Adjustment of Status

Adjustment of status is an alternate process by which an eligible person, who is already in the United States, can apply for permanent resident status without having to return to his/her home country to complete processing.

The Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) permits the change of an individual’s immigration status while in the United States from nonimmigrant or parolee (temporary) to immigrant (permanent) if the individual was inspected and admitted or paroled into the United States and is able to meet all required qualifications for a green card (permanent residence) in a particular category. The common term for a change to permanent status is “adjustment of status.”

You may also adjust status with Consular Processing from your home country for individuals who are unable to adjust status in the U.S.A. or for those who still live in their home country.

For more information about adjustment of status, please contact us at 646-395-7997 to schedule an appointment.