E-1 (Treaty Trader & Treaty Investor)
The E-1 nonimmigrant classification allows a national of a country with which the United States maintains a treaty of commerce and navigation to be admitted to the United States solely to engage in international trade on his or her own behalf. Certain employees of such a person or of a qualifying organization may also be eligible for this classification. To qualify for E-1 classification, an individual must:
- Be a national of a country with which the United States maintains a treaty of commerce and navigation
- Carry on substantial trade.
- Carry on principal trade between the United States and the treaty country which qualified them for E-1 classification.
Or, if petitioning as the employee of a treaty trader:
- Be the same nationality of the principal alien employer (who must have the nationality of the treaty country)
- Meet the definition of “employee” under the relevant law
- Either be engaging in duties of an executive or supervisory character, or if employed in a lesser capacity, have special qualifications.
To see if you qualify as an E-1 Treaty Trader, please contact us at 646-395-7997 to schedule an appointment.